Fire Science & Emergency Medical Services
Interested in firefighting and other emergency service careers?
The Fire Science Program introduces students to structural and wild land firefighting and the emergency medical system. The program develops the teamwork, leadership, mental and physical skills needed to be successful in the fire service.
Students have the opportunity to earn 5 college credits at Spokane Community College (SCC) and are well-prepared for additional training at the post-secondary level. Instructors are current Spokane Valley Fire Department firefighters.
Course Outline includes:
- Introduction to firefighter training
- Personal protective equipment
- Firefighting tools and methods
- Building construction
- Prevention and public education
- Emergency care
- Tactics and strategy
- Fire ground safety
- Wild land skills training
- Forest Service Fire Fighter
- Smoke Jumper
- Bureau of Land Management Fire Fighter
- Volunteer Fire Fighter
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)